Hebert & Helms Co., Inc. is a Louisiana Company domiciled at Lake Charles, Louisiana. The first articles of Incorporation were filed in 1930 in Cameron Parish, Louisiana. They were a very large scale land operation company that prospered for many years. In 1988, after Hebert-Helms & Co., Inc. sold a very large parcel of land to the United States Government, the company was liquidated and turned into the Hebert-Helms & Co. Liquidating Trust. The land bought from the US Government was subsequentially turned into what is now called the Cameron Prairie National Wildlife Refuge. All of the oil, gas, and other minerals in, on, and under the property conveyed with the right and authority to exercise all necessary means for the prospecting, exploiting, producing, and development of such minerals, including all the rights of access to and use of the surface of said land as may be necessary. There are other rights reserved by the Corporation in the deed executed by and between the United States Government and the Corporation.
Today the Hebert-Helms Trust exists merely as a large land operation management Trust. The trust members meet occasionally to discuss, negotiate, and share information in regards to prospective oil & gas leases. One of the primary reasons the Hebert-Helms Trust exists is for distribution of funds to it's members.
In 2010, the official board of trustees has been re-organized with a series of official ballots thus creating a new board consisting of:
Malcolm Dale Hebert, Dorothy Tolbert-Hebert, and David Richard.
The foundation of the Hebert-Helms Trust was based upon many individuals in both the Hebert & Helms families that so long ago had a vision that is alive and well today...
Top left: Herman Helms, Lafayette "Fate" Helms, Walter Helms, and Edmond "Bully" Helms.
Top right: Murphy Hebert
Middle left: Matilda Geddings Gray
Middle right: Eraste "Tumpy" Hebert
Bottom: Mabel Helms-Hebert
Cattle buying and selling was always a top priority in this company. To the right are weight tickets belonging to Hebert-Helms from Micelle's Commision Yard in Lake Charles, LA dated October 15, 1958. On this date, the going rate was approximately twenty- three dollars for every hundred pounds.
Malcolm Hebert (right) takes a Sport hunting on Hebert-Helms
Members of Hebert-Helms always took advantage of the plentiful harvest the marsh provided. They worked hard, and they played hard. To the right are hand-written diary entries belonging to Eraste Hebert, Jr. from 1919.
Hebert-Helms leases have always been an integral part of land managment operations. The image to the left is an actual lease executed by the Trust in 1944. The terms of this certain lease stated that the annual rental fee payable to Hebert-Helms would be one dollar an acre for a total of 160.5 acres.